Friday, June 1, 2012

Cyberpunk 2020 - Official video game anounced

Okay, an announcement has been made that has the online CP 2020 community soiling themselves and myself, well... lets just say whats filling my pants is even more unspeakable.

CD Projekt Red, the company behind the VRPG games Witcher and Witcher 2 have just announced that they will be putting out a Cyberpunk game based directly on our favorite pen and paper RPG.  From what I have heard, the Witcher games are plenty awesome, and were a breath of fresh air in how RPG's are handled.  I can't say for sure, because I have never played them, but it sounds like they are one of the few companies I would trust to do this...

The best news is that not only was the main man Mike Pondsmith himself there at the announcement, but he is going to be directly involved with the project as well.  Some of you may recall Mike was involved with another video game no one ever heard of, a little game called Halo...

Here is the video footage of the announcement!  They announce development of the game at around the 12 minute 38 second mark, but it gets amazing at the 18:17 mark when Mike Pondsmith takes the stage and rocks the mic like a vandal.... I never imagined he would have such an awesome voice...



At the presentation it was promised that the game would be mature, non-linear, and feature a host of weapons, gadgets, implants and toys.

If this doesn't invigorate the line again, I can't imagine anything will.  For years I have dreamed the dream of having my name published in an R. Talsorian book, and after V3 that dream looked not just foolish, but hopeless, as R. Talsorian went pretty silent on the silent.  But now, for the first time in years, a tiny candle has been lit that makes that dream just a little less foolish than it was yesterday.

I cannot wait for this game.  Saints Row 3 had me more excited than I had ever been for a video game, it was to be the closest thing to a perfect video game the world had ever seen, and as near to a Cyberpunk 2020 game as I thought would ever come about, what with the aerodynes and all in a GTA style sandbox game.  But Saints Row 3 utterly disappointed me by being so ridiculously silly and juvenile.  It left me pretty depressed about video games as a whole and the direction the industry is headed  Little did I know, that I would be soon staring at a future where an official Cyberpunk 2020 video game would be a reality.

I am now more excited than I have any right to be... I only pray that by non-linear they mean its going to be a sandbox style game, and that vehicles will be available to drive.  If that turns out to be the case, no one may ever see me outside my house again...

For more coverage of the announcement, go here:
Forbes

Kotaku

Gamasutra

Rock Paper Shotgun

Wisdom000

No comments:

Post a Comment